Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Cabinet order to disband task force to go to trial

Source:The National, Wednesday August 5th, 2015
NATIONAL Court proceedings relating to Cabinet decisions to disband Operation Task Force Sweep in June last year will go to trial next month.
Chairman Sam Koim, pictured, filed judicial review proceedings in the National Court last year challenging the process involved by the National Executive Council in arriving at its decision to disband the team.
Justice Colin Makail, who presided over the matter in Waigani yesterday, told counsels that the trial would start on Sept 29.
Koim’s lawyer advised the court that the review was filed and served to the respondents – Prime Minister Peter O’Neill, National Executive Council and the State.
Lawyer Tiffany Twivey, representing O’Neill and NEC, advised the court that she needed to cross examine Koim on factual issues relating to his contract of employment.
She said one legal issue was whether the court had powers to review executive decisions.
Lawyer Nicholas Tame is representing the State.
All parties have engaged overseas counsels for the trial that is expected to take two days.
The National Court in July last year granted a stay of Cabinet’s decision to disband Task Force Sweep Team pending the determination of the judicial review proceedings
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this Post

Recent Comments

There was an error in this gadget

Kandep MP_Polye's News Headlines

PNG Live News Headlines